I am a regular teenager who dreams and aspires for success. But in this journey to my destination, I remember to value all that I have and all those who have supported me. Self-discovery is the highest form of satisfaction but in the pandemonium of teenage I haven’t reached that stage yet. One thing I have realised is that a smile is contagious and so is kindness. So, I try to go out, offer what I have because materialistic things are the success of one person but compassion and kindness is the success of humanity as a whole.
No Child Sleeps Hungry, Kolkata
The first time I served the community in its true sense as I recall was when I visited my golf coach’s foundation “No Child Sleeps Hungry” in Kolkata and interacted with the underprivileged children there in 2015. Since then, it became a routine for me to meet them and teach them, not for a reward or recognition, but for the simple joy of interaction and mutual learning.
Although I shifted to Mumbai later in 2018, these interactions were formative in shaping my character and I did not lose touch with the foundation. I taught children regularly and also raised funds for the organization. I conducted webinars on financial literacy and prepared online learning resources in 2021 summer.
When I shifted to Mumbai in 2018, I joined the Interact Club in my school. I used to teach children in Mumbai every week and thoroughly enjoyed my time doing so
When I was appointed the Secretary of the Interact Club in 2021, along with the President, we initiated several activities to connect with our external community- the NGOs and also promoted internal- community bonding.
- Our first initiative was the Cathedral Community Magazine “Yours Soulfully” to bridge the disconnect within the community and promote bonding.
- The next initiative we spearheaded was the Pre-Loved Clothes drive across senior school. An early vision of the rapidly growing ‘thrift’ projects we now so commonly encounter; this clothes drive aims at sustainability and the reuse of pre-loved clothes over manufactured ones. Their team joined hands with Cathedral in this project of awareness.
- I also spearheaded the crowd-funding for Light of Life Trust.
- Akaansha: I spearheaded the SUPW activity for my class 12 A in 2021. I centralised the collection and transfer of all the learning resources which my classmates prepared for the organization Akaansha. I was coordinating with my classmates, my class teacher and the Foundation to ensure organisation and efficiency.
- Live to Give : In 2020, along with a few classmates, I took the initiative to fund raise ₹ 72,000 by various activities like online games night, bake sale, etc. we donated it to the NGO Live to Give. We were able to empower several widowed women by helping them purchase a sewing machine and other necessities to earn their own livelihood and live life on independent terms. Received appreciation from the Class teacher for taking this initiative and leadership.
I also became a part of several initiatives and fund-raising marathons which were happening around me. This was the website via which I raised funds both years.
- Tata TMM Heal (Jan 2019): I personally raised about Rs. 60,000 through digital platform and donated it to HEAL which deals with issues of child abuse. I also ran a 7 km marathon to support this initiative.
- Light of Life Trust (Sept 19- Jan 20)- I raised around ₹75,000 and ran the TMM Mumbai Marathon to support the Light of Life Trust which works towards providing underprivileged children a good education and bright future.